As previously reported, Iommi‘s manager has refused to deny that the original lineup of BLACK SABBATH is getting back together, according to the Birmingham Mail. The Mail was actually the newspaper that broke the story of a reported SABBATH reunion, using comments attributed to Iommi. But although the guitarist issued a statement saying that his comments had been distorted, his manager Ralph Baker admitted to the Mail, “We haven’t got anything in place. He’s not denying that the guys have been talking but there’s nothing in the way that’s been implied in the statements that you made.”
Iommi‘s comments to the Mail were made back in June, with Baker telling the newspaper that Iommi “felt that he made them to you off the record.”
Baker said that the story first appeared on a metal news web site before the Mail expanded on it, using Iommi‘s quotes.
Baker said, “A very insignificant little web site put something out about SABBATH getting back together . . . When you [Birmingham Mail] went online, that’s when it went around the world because it was official.”
The Mail reported on Tuesday (August 16) that the original four SABBATH members — Iommi, singer Ozzy Osbourne, bassist Geezer Butler and drummer Bill Ward — have already begun rehearsing and writing music in secret for a new album.
SABBATH did try to record a new album 12 years ago, the original lineup’s first since 1978, but abandoned the attempt after just a couple of songs. The original SABBATH lineup has not toured together since summer 2005.
*SEASON 8 PREMIERES SATURDAY, AUGUST 20 AT 11 PM ET/PT*
THAT METAL SHOW distills decades of your favorite hard rock and heavy metal into a solid sixty minutes. Hosted by Eddie Trunk, Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson. Oh, and we’re the Metal God’s favorite show. So we’ve got that going for us… Which is nice.